Monday, August 10, 2009

Why I Listen to Britpop

Cigarrettes and Alcohol by Oasis

Is it my imagination
Or have I finally found something worth living for?
I was looking for some action
But all I found was cigarettes and alcohol
You could wait for a lifetime
To spend your days in the sunshine
You might as well do the white line
Cos when it comes on top . . .
You gotta make it happen!


Is it worth the aggravation
To find yourself a job
when there's nothing worth working for?
It's a crazy situation
But all I need are cigarettes and alcohol!
You could wait for a lifetime
To spend your days in the sunshine
You might as well do the white line
Cos when it comes on top . . .
You gotta make it happen!

I was watching a documentary about indie music and britpop... for those who didn’t know, it is related.. the indie scene of the 80 was the beginning of the britpop scene of the 90s.

I’ve always listened to this kind of music and now I remembered why... indie and britpop was all about being different from the rest and not giving a fuck about it. People who considered themselves as indie, and in my case, britpopers, knew that they didn’t belong to the “mass”, knew they were different... maybe even rejected... and they didn’t care! And that’s why I like this music.. of course, when I first started listening... but I knew I wasn’t like the rest of my classmates, to give an example... I wasn’t into the things they were into, I didn’t have the same opinion as them.. in fact..I HAD an opinion, and so on...

After realising I really didn’t want to pretend anymore that I could belong to the group by forgetting who I really was, I embraced my true self (how emo this sounds.... I know XD) so fuck’em all... I didn’t need them, I certainly do not need them now.

So... after this brief introduction... many people have asked me what happened that I’m listening to metal music now...

Britpop is part of a darker stage of my life, it was with me through very tough times and I’ll always remember it for that. According to Alex James of Blur, the music you listen when you’re 16 will always be the best.

I know I won’t stop listening to it, but now, living better days, I want to keep investigating where metal will lead me... so far it’s been an interesting journey...

I’m sure I had already posted Cigarrettes and alcohol by Oasis... it’s a song that summarises the feeling of the indie youth... but I’ll finish with an even more clear example of it... if you feel identified, whatever you listen to, welcome to the pit!

Live Forever by Oasis

Maybe I dont really want to know
How your garden grows
I just want to fly
Lately did you ever feel the pain
In the morning rain
As it soaks it to the bone

Maybe I just want to fly
I want to live I dont want to die
Maybe I just want to breath
Maybe I just dont believe
Maybe youre the same as me
We see things theyll never see
You and I are gonna live forever

Maybe I dont really want to know
How your garden grows
I just want to fly
Lately did you ever feel the pain
In the morning rain
As it soaks it to the bone

Maybe I will never be
All the things that I want to be
But now is not the time to cry
Nows the time to find out why
I think youre the same as me
We see things theyll never see
You and I are gonna live forever
Were gonna live forever
Gonna live forever

Best wishes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo creo que independiente del estilo, la música nos refleja, aunque aveces también resulta una máscara para ocultar lo que queremos ocultar, jaja, resulta así de mágica.
Es increíble como una canción puede formar parte de la banda sonora de algún momento la vida, de así como se puede estar en el momento y lugar equivocado, aveces una canción llega en el momento perfecto, o hace que tu momento sea perfecto o quizás una canción no sea el complemento de un momento, sino más bien el protagonista.

Bueno... cumplo con postearte, venia con ganas de hacerlo hace tiempo, pero por tiempo se me había ido. Ojalá que mantengas la actividad en este espacio, así nos das la oportunidad a quienes queremos conocerte y que por diversas razones no hablamos mucho, perdiéndonos la posibilidad de deleitarse con lo interesante que resulta hablar contigo.
Por cierto, aunque sea demasiado monótono de mi parte, no puedo pasar por alto que tambiñen en la foto publicada en tu blog sales preciosa.

Un beso y gran abrazo, mañana empieza otra semana y espero que te vaya de lo mejor!

Saludos

Unknown said...

Yes, great US Military force. Also, in his post you have given a chance to listen about US Military. I really appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing it.Yes, great US Military force. Also, in his post you have given a chance to listen about US Military. I really appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing it. Core spun Melange